Friday, September 20, 2013

Departure for Peace Corps

Hello all!
On Sunday I will be leaving Anchorage to begin my Peace Corps experience.  I will fly to Philadelphia where I will be meeting up with the other Education volunteers going to Mozambique.  I still don't know how many people there will be, but I'm guessing around 20.  We will all meet at a hotel in Philadelphia on Tuesday and have some orientation activities there.  Then we will get on a bus at 2am and drive to the JFK airport where we will board out flight for Johannesburg, South Africa.  We will then take a short flight to the capital of Mozambique, Maputo.

When we get to Maputo we will spend a few days there and then travel to Namaacha, the village near Swaziland where we will be doing our training.  We will live with host families there for 3 months while we learn Portuguese and do teacher and intercultural training.  We will have training Monday-Saturday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm for three months.

For those of you who don't know, after training I will be teaching secondary science in Mozambique.  I don't know where exactly in the country I'll be yet because they don't assign us specific locations until halfway through the training process.  Mozambique is a big country so there is a lot of variety in where I could be placed.  I can't wait to find out! :)

During training, I can receive mail at the following address:

Sienna Laughton, PCV 
Corpo da Paz/U. S. Peace Corps 
Avenida Zimbabwe 345, 
C.P. 4398 
Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE 

I would love to hear from you guys, either through snail mail or email!

I've never kept a blog before, but I'm going to try to update this every few weeks or so during my time in Mozambique.  Hopefully you'll be hearing from me again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment