Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Neighbor Friends

We've become friendly with a lot of our neighbors, but there is one family in our neighborhood we've become particularly close with.  All the kids are incredibly well mannered, sweet and thoughtful and I love having them around.  There are 6 kids total: Sylvia (17), Albertina (15), Januario (13), Celia (9?), Celene (6), and Acontece (2).  We see the parents infrequently, but the kids are over at our house all the time.  Albertina has been particularly generous--she has been over a few evenings recently to teach us to cook couve (large green leafy vegetable) and squash.   The other morning she made squash for us at her house and invited us over there to eat it.  She even set the table for us.  This is same family whose house I went to to watch Rihanna music videos.  I am constantly amazed by their generosity.  It's nice to feel like we have some friends in the neighborhood.  
This is Celene (6).  She looked so adorable in her overalls I couldn't resist taking a photo.

Celso (cousin and neighbor to these guys), Albertina, and Celia on the night Albertina taught us how to make couve.

Sylvia getting help with her math homework. Doesn't she have the best smile?

Emma carrying Aconte (2).  He's almost too big for the capulana sling!

Cooking the couve

I forget how small Mozambicans are and then I see a picture of myself with Albertina and I look like I giant!

Mmm, couve!


The little kiddos on the porch


No comments:

Post a Comment