Thursday, June 26, 2014

Liwonde National Park Take 2

While Terra and Gabe were visiting we spent a weekend in Malawi.  We went to Liwonde National Park, the same park I went to with my dad when he was here in April.  I was able to get some better pictures of the elephants and hippos this time.  Another notable event about our trip was that we ate hippo! It was on the menu at the restaurant so we ordered it.  Apparently sometimes the rangers at the park have to kill a hippo for population control and afterwards the meat is available to buy in the market.  I thought the hippo curry I ordered was pretty good--kind of like really chewy beef.  During Terra and Gabe's visit I also ate pigeon, which was surprisingly good.  Not much meat, but way more flavorful than chicken.  People here in Zobue raise them in little houses in their yards and either sell them or eat them themselves.








I don't have a photo of the hippo meat, but here is the pigeon...like a tiny, tiny chicken.




No comments:

Post a Comment