Friday, November 7, 2014

Site Visitors

This past week Emma and I hosted two visitors in Zobue, Amanda and Kevin.  Both Amanda and Kevin are part of Moz 23, the newest group of volunteers to arrive in Mozambique.  They are currently in training in Namaacha and will begin teaching in February.  This week the members of Moz 23 traveled to different parts of Mozambique to get a sense of what life is like for volunteers in the field.  It was fun to host Amanda and Kevin in Zobue, though it seemed a bit surreal.  It seems like just yesterday that I was the trainee visiting a seasoned volunteer, but now I AM the seasoned volunteer imparting my 'wisdom'.  Though most of the time I still feel like I'm figuring out how to live here, having these guests made me realize that Zobue has become my home and I'm more comfortable here than I realize.  

Emma, Kevin, and Amanda enjoying Chipotle-style burrito bowls on their first night in Zobue.

Kevin and Amanda arrived in Zobue Sunday evening.  On Monday we walked to the market in the morning and they went to the school with Emma in the afternoon.  For dinner on Monday we took them to Quinta Monte for grilled chicken and fries.  They enjoyed the view of Mt. Zobue, the beer, and the chicken.

On Tuesday, Kevin and Amanda got to help me with my Livro Aberto reading program.
 On Tuesday evening, we went to the home of a fellow professor for dinner.  We made hamburgers and they made chicken and fries.  It was a delicious meal.  It was fun to spend time with Professor Batana and his family.  Unfortunately, I have no photos of that meal.

On Wednesday, Kevin, Amanda, and I got up at 5 am to hike Mt. Zobue.  The idea was to get up before the heat, which was a good idea since Wednesday was a scorcher.

We made it to the summit by 7:30am!

View of Zobue and the border marker.


Ant highway!  This was literally the most ants I've ever seen.  There were hundreds of ants crawling along a highway lined with the bodies of dead ants...Mozambique has some crazy inset life!  See below for a video of the any highway.


On the way down the mountain, we ran across a field that was actually irrigated! It was the first example of irrigation I've seen in Zobue so I had to take a picture.

All too soon, it was time for Kevin and Amanda to head back to Maputo.  It was very fun having them visit and I wish them the best for their Peace Corps experience.  I can't wait to see where they end up in Mozambique!

No comments:

Post a Comment