Sunday, February 2, 2014

End of Ferias

School is finally starting!  Starting Tuesday I will be teaching 8th grade math.  I have three classes that meet 5 times a week (three single periods and one double period) so I will be teaching about 15 hours total per week, Monday through Thursday.  I am very happy to have Fridays off. This last Friday we participated in the ceremony to open the school for the 2014 year.  Apparently it is traditional to plant trees around the school during the ceremony so we planted about 10 new trees.  After the tree planting (which started about two hours late as usual) we sat in on a three-hour meeting where the school director talked about the school, the students, and lots of other stuff.  There were representatives from the district capital of Moatize, but when it was their turn to speak it was raining so hard it was impossible to hear them over the thousands of raindrops pelting the metal roof.  Rainy season is definitely here in Zobue.  The internet and phone networks are in and out as well as the electricity.  I’m not really complaining though—the rain makes it much less hot.  I haven’t even slept with my fan for the past few nights.

In the meantime, life goes on in Zobue.  The other day I walked to the sunset rock with some neighborhood kids and saw a rainbow and the sunset at the same time.  It was pretty spectacular.





Today I went to the Nazarene church service.  The service is in ChiChewa, but Marcos Leme translates into Portuguese when I am there so I can understand.  There is a lot of singing, but overall the service is pretty similar to services I’ve been to in the states.  Except that half the congregation sits barefoot on bamboo mats and children run around freely, that’s a little different. The service only lasts about two hours, which I am glad of because I’ve heard of services here lasting up to five hours.


That’s about all I have to report from here—I’ll definitely post something in the next week or so to let you all know how teaching goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment