Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mozambican sledding

A few weeks ago Seni and I walked up the hill behind my house.  It is only about a five minute walk and gives a great view of Zobue and surrounding countryside.  For a little more exercise you can climb the little mountain behind it in about 15 minutes and get an even better view.  It has quickly become a favorite spot of mine as an easy escape into nature.  I'm sure the sunset is amazing from the hill and my goal for tomorrow is to go there and watch it.

The first time Seni and I walked out to the rocky slopes there were a bunch of kids scrambling on the hillside with huge armfuls of leafy bushes.  At first I was confused and asked Seni what they were doing.  "Are they collecting the leaves to eat?" I asked. He didn't really respond, maybe because he didn't know, but I quickly got my answer.  The kids were using the leaves to slide down the hill! In Alaska we sled down snowhills and here in Mozambique we slide down rocks on piles of leaves.  Pretty much the same thing, right? What a great way to protect your pants and have fun at the same time.

Collecting leaves for sliding.
You can also use old water tubs or pieces of plastic to slide down the rock.

Wahoo!!!

Seni enjoying the view and watching the kids slide down the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment