Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What do you do with so much free time?

Since school doesn't start until February a lot of people have asked me what I've been doing every day. I've never had so much free time in my entire life.  Never before have I literally had a completely free schedule for weeks and weeks on end.  So, what have I done with so much free time?

I sewed a skirt...
The first article of clothing I've ever sewn by hand! It's amazing what you have patience for when you have nothing but time.

I planted some seeds...
In here we had squash, basil, tomato, kale, sweet pea, herb mix, cauliflower, and beets.
A few weeks later...now the basil is doing great--the rest didn't survive when I left them for new year's.

I dug a garden...
So far my cucumber and squash plants are doing well.  Hopefully the onions, carrots, kale, cabbage, corn, beans, beets, basil, and tomatoes also do ok.  This is my first experiment really gardening--we'll see how it goes!

I practiced guitar...
I've played enough for the neighborhood kids that they've even started learning the songs.  They can sing along to Country Roads in English even though they have no idea what they are saying.  It's pretty adorable.
Cecilia made a little guitar out of a stick, a water bottle, and a rubber band.  These kids are so ingenious!

I read...
I've read at least 8 books since coming to Zobue.  It's great--I've been able to catch up on books I've been meaning to read for years.  I love my kindle. :)

I studied ChiChewa...
My motivation for studying ChiChewa comes and goes.  Sometimes I think I could actually learn this language and other days I feel like it's hopeless.  It is unlike any language I've ever studied and the nouns have been very confusing.  But, I have two years to learn it and learn it I will (hopefully).

I went for walks...
View of Mt. Zobue from the little mountain behind my house.

Bwino tired out from hiking up the mountain.

Piro looking goofy as usual.

I worked out...
Shawn-T is my best friend. Haha not really, but I'm starting to memorize his narration.
I cooked...
The first dinner we made in Zobue--curry beans and rice with mango salsa.

Chickpea salad with cucumber, green pepper, tomato, and onion.

Refried beans and rice with pico de gallo.


I baked...
Mmmm banana muffins!
Also, I've been counting down the days until school starts.  It's been nice having so much free time, but it's actually been extremely challenging to learn how to structure my day. Sometimes I feel aimless and begin to wonder why I'm here.  On those days I either try to make up lots of projects for me to do or I give in and watch a whole afternoon of TV on my computer.  Sometimes you just need those days.  I will be glad when I have something more concrete to do. Two more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment