Thursday, July 17, 2014

Brick making part II

After the last post about brick making in Zobue a friend of mine asked if I had a picture of the mold used to make the bricks.  At the time I didn't have a photo, but have been on the search ever since. A few days ago I asked a young man I had seen making bricks if he had the mold and he said he had borrowed the mold from someone else and had already returned it.  Yesterday, I was running along the road and saw a man carrying a brick mold, but I didn't have my camera. This morning I went for a walk around Zobue with my camera and had the good fortune of walking by a man making bricks with his very own brick mold.  So, here are some photos of the brick mold plus some more photos of the brick making process.

These men are piling up the dried bricks, leaving room at the bottom to build fires underneath and bake the bricks.

I asked this man if I could take a picture of him and he struck this pose.  The mold is supporting his right hand.

Here is the brick mold.  You can make two bricks at a time.  Simply pack in the mud, carry the mold to where you want your bricks, and flip over the mold, letting the new bricks fall out onto the ground to dry.


In the previous post I showed a picture of a house being built.  Here is it a few days later.  They are making progress!



I thought it was interesting what they use to make sure the walls are square.  Just some string and a stick.  Seems to work pretty well.





No comments:

Post a Comment