Thursday, July 24, 2014

Rata de Mato

So far in Mozambique I've tried a lot of new foods: hippo, goat, and corn beer to name a few. One thing I haven't been able to try yet is the rata de mato, the bush rat. People sell these little rats at a good price on the side of the road or at any market.  They are roasted--skin, hair, bones, and all--and sold for about 50 cents per half dozen.  At first I thought people just ate them like that, as a kind of street snack, but I haven't actually ever seen anyone eating them.  The other day I was on a chapa and the people on either side of me bought multiple sets of rats so I was able to get some photos and ask questions.  Apparently they don't eat them straight off the stick, but usually cook them in a stew with tomato and onion.  It seems really gross to me, but these rats are a good source of protein in a place where many people are severely protein deficient. So I won't judge people here for thinking they are delicious.  I just probably won't be trying them any time soon. 




2 comments:

  1. I wonder if roasted rat tastes like BBQ salmon ... let me know if it does. Love your posts and photos. Visited your Dad at Denali last June ... had a great visit. Take care and be safe. Wayne Crayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wayne! Glad you are enjoying the blog!

    ReplyDelete