Thursday, October 31, 2013

Site Visits!

Well, we've survived 5 weeks of language classes, tech sessions, and CORE workshops and our reward is that we get to visit another part of Mozambique! Each of us are travelling this weekend to visit a current volunteer in a different part of the country.  The goal is to see what life is like for a current volunteer and get a sense of their community.  We will be staying with the volunteer for about 5 days.  I get back to Namaacha a week from today.  The sites were chosen at random so there is no connection between the site we are visiting and our ultimate assignment.  However, I've been told that if we like the site we visit it can be a factor in the decision process. 

The site I will be visiting is about 2,000 km north of Maputo in the province of Nampula.  The town is called Carapira.  Tomorrow morning we (there are about 6 of us going to different places in Nampula) will be going to Maputo and on Sunday morning we will fly from Maputo to Nampula.  Mozambique is a big country--the flight is about 2.5 hours!  I'm not sure what the internet will be like up there, but I'll be sure to post when I get back.  Here is a map of where I'll be going.  I'm currently way down in the south near Maputo and I'll be going way up near the city of Nampula.  Good thing we're flying or it would be a 2 day drive!

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing! Make sure you take lots of photos up there!!

    ReplyDelete