Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Butter and Rice

Last night I put butter on my rice and my host siblings Pai and Laiza looked at me in confusion and astonishment.  "Is that good?" they asked, their eyes wide.  "Yes, it's very good," I responded.  They continued to stare.  "Mom, she put butter on her rice!" they exclaimed to Mae Gloria when she came into the room.  "Yes, they do that sometimes," she said. "Do you want to try it?" I asked.  They did.  They got up to get the butter out of the fridge and proceeded to add it to their rice.  I said, "it's just like putting butter on bread, pretty much the same thing."  So then Laiza goes to the fridge and gets out the peanut butter.  I laughed.  "No, we don't put peanut butter on rice."  She put the peanut butter back in the fridge.  As they ate their butter and rice I thought to myself, I shouldn't have laughed at Laiza.  Putting butter on rice is probably just as weird an idea to her as putting peanut butter on rice is to me.  Pai and Laiza were willing to try the craziness of butter and rice.  Next time, maybe I'll try the peanut butter and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment