Friday, November 15, 2013

Site Placement!

Yesterday was the big day.  I don’t think I’ve ever felt such a combination of nerves, excitement, anticipation, and anxiety.  Not when I went to college, not when I graduated from college, not when I found out I was going to Mozambique, not even when I left for Mozambique.  When we were about the get our placement envelopes I felt like I was either going to throw up or burst into tears.  But it’s over--now we know our site placements and can begin to prepare for what is next.  And good news, I’m so happy with my placement!  I’m sure it will have its challenges, but as of now I’m just excited to get there and begin to settle in.  Too bad we still have two weeks of training.  Hopefully December 7th will be here before I know it!

I will be teaching in the town of Zobue in the province of Tete.  The town is right on the border with Malawi and in the mountains (yay!). There is great hiking just outside our backdoor.  Sounds like the perfect site for me!

I'll be teaching 8th grade math and my roommate Emma will be teaching English.  The house is four bedrooms, complete with a fridge and reliable electricity.  We'll be replacing a married couple named Dan and Lisa Spencer.  As luck would have it, they happened to be the visiting volunteers this week so we got to meet them and talk to them in person about the site. Tonight they had us over for dinner and showed us pictures of the town, school, the house, and the people.  Lisa kept a great blog throughout their service so if you want to learn more about the town and see lots of great photos check it out:

The town is right on the border with Malawi so we’ll be going there a lot for items you can't get in Zobue, like peanut butter. Apparently you can even get a PO Box there because it might be cheaper and more reliable than Mozambican mail. I’ll keep you posted on that.

Here is a map of where Zobue is:

If I am reading this map correctly, Zobue is located at about the 't' of Mt Namuli, right on the border of Malawi.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Sienna! I now become your faithful follower. You are a perfect match for Zobue, and you are going to be so happy! Congats, again! : )

    ReplyDelete