Thursday, November 28, 2013

Presents from home

Last week a package arrived from Alaska with presents for my host family.  Thank you so much to my mom for putting together the package and sending it off! The box included T-shirts for my cousin and dad, slippers for my grandma, a photo printed out and framed for my cousin and mom, a scarf for my mom, and toy cars and ponies for Pai and Laiza.  They all loved the presents and immediately put on the T-shirts.  It was the happiest I've seen my host dad since I've been here.  He was helping my brother open the package of toy cars and then got up and started putting them on display in the china cabinet.  He said, "they look so nice here. Now you can enjoy them until you are 20 years old." My host brother looked very sad and Laiza said, but when he is 20 years old he won't want to play with them.  We all laughed and my host dad took two of the cars out so Pai could play with them.  The next day, all the cars were out of the case and Pai was playing with them all.

I only have a couple more days of living with my host family.  While I'm excited to live in my own place soon and have more independence, I'm definitely going to miss my host family.  It is a very special experience to live with a family for 10 weeks and I will never forget them.  I hope I can come back to visit them at least once before I am done with Peace Corps.
Anchorage t-shirts!

Mae Gloria and Vo-vo Gloria.  Mom and daughter in law have the same name...what are the chances?

My cousin showing off his T-shirt and photo.

Laiza, Pai, and visiting aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment