Thursday, December 12, 2013

Litchis

Of the fruits I've eaten so far in Mozambique, it is a close race for my favorite between litchis and mangoes.  At this point, I think litchis are in the lead because they are much easier and less sticky to eat than mangoes.  Since I'd never seen one before coming here I thought I'd give a tutorial of how to each a litchi.
This is a litchi. They are ripe when they start to turn red.

Step 1: Break the litchi skin with your teeth or fingernails.

Step 2: Remove the skin and discard.

Step 3: Eat the litchi fruit around the pit.

Step 4: Discard the pit. Or throw it at your friend.

If you ever have the opportunity to eat a litchi, try it! I ate a lot of litchis in Maputo, but so far haven't seen any in Zobue.  Hopefully they turn up soon...I miss them.  At least there are lots of mangoes here.


No comments:

Post a Comment